Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Final Reflection


I have enjoyed this reflection the most as it was interesting to consider my previous comments to a similar question.

“I expect an ELA middle years classroom to be not unlike any other class where there will be students of varying abilities and competencies. I think it will be important to encourage and foster creativity within a non-judgmental environment to ensure a positive learning experience. Insecurity is highly prominent within the middle years cohort and the development of an arena that allows students the opportunity to freely share their work and general thoughts will be paramount in the ELA classroom.”

My impressions of a middle years classroom have not changed but I feel like I now have a clearer understanding of the influences that oracy and writing will have on the classroom dynamic. I am excited about the opportunity for creativity that ELA affords and the fact that the skills developed in ELA will be firm building blocks for later education and in life.

An indication that ELA is not only a venue for the development of oral, written, and reading skills, is emphasized by one goal listed for all grades in the ELA IRP’s, “develop a continuously increasing understanding or self and others.” This highlights the role that ELA plays in developing a concept of self and in preparing youth for real world interaction.

The creativity that everyone showed in class was also very refreshing. I feel confident that there is a nice wide doorframe to walk through when entering the creative potential of an ELA classroom. The ideas that were shared by Professor Nahachewsky and my peers helped trigger thoughts around ways to engage students orally through debate, interview, recitation, presentation, discussion, etc. Furthermore, writing and representation offer the opportunity for students to characterize themselves and others, explore moral and ethical responsibilities, and create something dark, beautiful, or anywhere in between.

I am excited about the chance to teach ELA in the middle years classroom and feel like I have increased my awareness of ELA, developed a clearer understanding of what to expect and how I can deliver something fun and engaging.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your good thoughts, Mike! Your enthusiasm and creativity will take you far.

    I am curious, do you see the BC Performance Standards fitting into this vision of your future classroom?

    Best wishes next term and in practicum, and thanks for your participation in class!

    ReplyDelete